Thursday, July 9, 2009

Britney had a very hard night and day today. Her blood counts dropped a lot last night. They thought it was a GI bleed but the GI doctors didn't think so. Luckily with 3 units of blood overnight she was stable and kept her blood counts stable all night and day. She was taken off all sedation and pain medication all night and morning for the neurologist to come. She was in excruciating pain when she tightened her mouth because of her teeth or when they repositioned her. She looked at me many times. We have seen many movements we have put in our blog that seem very purposeful to us. Neurology came by at 9:00am and told me they are signing off because they do not see any purposeful movements. They have only been by 2-3X in the past week for about 5-10 minutes per visit. I told them what they see is only a snapshot in time. They were very abrupt, and stated her chances without any purposeful movements is very close to zero to come back to us. It was very frustrating. I asked her primary team to keep her comfortable because they didn't need to torture her anymore for the sake of the neurologists. It still took about 4 hours to get her pain under control and to help her fall back asleep. They are trying to track down a dentist who will pull out her teeth since the other one went on vacation and didn't do a thing for her. Britney's best friend in Wisconsin's husband is a oral surgery resident and they offered to have him fly down to help her not suffer so much but he can't do anything without hospital privileges. Neither can his dad who is a oral surgeon in a different state who they also offered to fly out. She will have to suffer with her teeth until they get someone to come here. Today she also had a CT scan to look at her lungs, and the fluid collection behind her right kidney and to see if she was having any bleeding anywhere. The left lung is very infected and has a lot of blood clot keeping her from getting better. A surgery is scheduled Monday to clean out the clots in her lung and help her heal. The time until then they will work on getting her well enough for surgery. She is stable and comfortable since they got her pain under control a few hours ago. The primary team is great and said they will go all out to save her. It is way to early for us to give up on her. My sister in law survived a severe head bleed and was written off for dead many times. We don't want her to continue suffering but want to give her the chance she deserves at the same time. We have felt so much peace and hope. Ever since the night she was placed on ECMO and we thought she was gone I have such a strong thought and feeling come to my mind and heart when I start to loose hope. The story of Lazarus has popped into my mind so many times with such peace. If God wants to take her home to him I pray it will be soon and without suffering but if he wants to give her back to us I know he can. Sorry for such an emotional post. So many of you are so emotionally invested in her and our family. Despite the horrible tragedy this is to all of us we are not our tragedey's. We are filled with a peace that is well beyond us and has kept our family going. What ever the outcome of the next few weeks there will be a great life to live. She will be our angel in this life and the next. Keep praying for her to get better, and to be comfortable. Thank you for all of your love.
Have a great night,
John

14 comments:

  1. Sending earnest prayers for healing for Britney, as well as much love and prayers for comfort to you and your family. Regards, Katherine Coolidge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued prayers to all of you, John. I'm sorry your experience with the neuro team was such an awful one, and I'm glad to read her primary team is fighting for her. We'll be praying for comfort, peace, and hope for you and your family. God bless. ~Lauren Parsons and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, Thanks so much for keeping me updated. I also feel at peace whenever I think and pray for Britney. I know she is strong and a fighter. If it is gods will she will stay in this life. I love her with all my heart and I am praying for her constantly. We love you and are praying for you and the family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,

    I just want to let you know Matt and I are praying for you. I can't imagine the heart ache you and your family are going through. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love,
    The Wheatleys

    ReplyDelete
  5. our hearts are so broken for you. aaron and i are standing with you with whole hearted belief that God can heal and restore britney. we are praying for super natural peace and strength for you- aaron and charity leetch

    ReplyDelete
  6. John and Britney,
    Your love for each other is for Eternity.....Hold on to Hope....Keep Faith in your Hearts.....I wish you both every happiness and joy to come your way....even in the midst of the horrible pain and suffering you are enduring right now...Only Heavenly Father knows His plan for you ..and has sent you His Spirit to comfort you.....keep listening to that still ,small voice you hear.....your prayers are mine .aswell as all of us here...Thank You for keeping us in your thoughts as you write of your days and nights...Sally

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys have been on my mind so much lately and I now know why. It breaks my heart to know sweet Britney is going through this. I am with you 100% about keeping her comfortable. She has fought so hard and survived so much. If she doesn't come back, I don't doubt but that it is a higher calling. You guys are wonderful people. All our love and prayers are with you. Thanks for posting...it is so important to know her status. PS There isn't a neurologist there who hasn't seen a miracle. They see what they see here and now, but it can change at any moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 10 days ago we told a family who's mother had just coded to say their goodbyes cause we didn't expect their mom to last the day. With multi organ damage, the family decided to withdraw her ventilation and make her comfort care. I've spent the last week delightfully embarrassed at our earlier prediction. Tomorrow I will be sending her home in better shape than when she arrived. I've learned you just can't count the fighters out. We're praying for the miracle God can grant and Britney deserves. God's will be done, while our prayers are for recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. John you are not alone. I will never give up on Britney. I fall asleep praying for her. I wake up in the middle of the night and every morning praying for her. I don't know what the Lord's will is. I wish I did and I find myself having a hard time being patient, but we can not give up. She needs us and we will do whatever it takes. These scriptures have been a big comfort to me the last couple of days. (Psalms 45:1 and 10) God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Be still, and know that I am God. Keep being strong for Brit. We love you.

    Carlie

    ReplyDelete
  10. We unite our faith in prayer with the many who love you and Britney and your sweet children, and ask Heavenly Father to grant her full recovery and continued strength and peace of mind to her loved ones. We are strengthened and blessed by your examples of faith and humility.
    With love,
    Mary Lee and Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  11. I echo Carlie's sentiments... God is our strength! As 2 Ne 31:20 states, "We will press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope...". Christ is the Master physician & through Him, there is hope!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Matt and I were in your parents ward in Colorado for 6 years, I remember when you guys got married! We have been praying for Britney and your family since we heard about the situation. I think this whole thing will make you a much better doctor! I am impressed by your strength.

    Matt and Danae Cheever

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are praying for Britney and your family daily with high hopes that our prayers will be answered. We admire your courage and strength, we appreciate you taking the time to let us all know daily hows she's doing.

    With love,
    Matt, Deanna, Danielle, Mitch, and Mason Manhardt

    ReplyDelete
  14. John and Britney --

    We are so sorry for these recent extremely frustrating challenges. You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. We don't always understand Heavenly Father's ways, but we know that He loves His children perfectly, and has a specific plan for each one. May His angels be about you, to strengthen, comfort, and sustain you.

    With love,

    The Spencer

    ReplyDelete