Monday, August 10, 2009

Britney going to Denver for Rehab

Hi everyone,
This has been in the works since Thursday afternoon. Britney will not get the rehabilitation care she needs in Tucson. We were told this by multiple people, and by the rehabilitation doctor who came Saturday. Dr. Toiber suggested that we should look into Barrows in phoenix which would be harder for our family. After much discussion and looking into places we found an acute care hospital in Denver that has PM&R doctors from Craig hospital who come there everyday. It is a kindred hospital but they have a much higher level of care there than in Tucson. They have 24/7 Critical care on site, intensive rehabilitation. They prepare all of their patients to meet criteria for Craig hospital. My dad visited it on Saturday and was very very impressed with the atmosphere the concern and human touch. They are the best place in the country to get her ready to go to Craig. Their Medical director Eric Yager did his pulmonary critical care fellowship in Tucson and my program director knows him. We feel very very good about this decision. Our insurance has approved for her to come to Denver and there is a good chance the insurance will pay for the transport. All the details are being worked out now. Hopefully she will fly to Denver this week. We will let you know when we find out when she will be going.

How this affects our family.

Everyone has asked this. All of the kids will go to Denver to be with family and Jonas will go to school with the same teacher Britney in Littleton. Britney's parents Casey and Jana will drive the kids up with their stuff. My parents and Britney's parents live 15 minutes away from eachother. Both the kids and Britney will have increadible amount of support and care in denver. We have tons of extended family there and many many friends. I have no doubt it will be better for them. I will go with her to get them settled and be back there for my vacation in 4 weeks from today. I do not qualify for family medical leave because I haven't worked at UMC for a 12 months. I will be able to visit on days off and as needed take elective time. It is a very hard situation but we have prayed about it a lot and feel a huge peace about it. I need to keep up with residency #1 to keep Britney having the insurance she needs to get the best care there is, and #2 to make a future for our family and our future. This situation will be sustainable long term. We are getting out of our lease and I will stay with friends in Tucson until we get a time frame worked out. This way we will be able to save the money we need for me to fly back and forth.

11 comments:

  1. Bravo!!.... Craig has a National reputation and is a sister hospital to Jan and I... Thank God for putting the thought in everyone's mind... it is a blessing..that you can all be home from home and be able to have your family close by for that support and love and caring you all need and want right now...Much love and happiness may come to you in this still hard time.. longterm decisions and a new path for your family to take.. so hard.. you have the Light to lead your family....God is holding out his Hand for you to take ; He is carrying you so that you ,in turn,have the strength and Faith to give to the children and Britney..
    ...and of course... all of us here in Denver are here for you ..so just holla...and we'll be there...
    What God has asked of you and your family to give is huge... this is one of my favourite scriptures...
    1 Nephi 3:7

    7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    I continue to think of you, Britney and the kids every single day. I can't imagine how difficult these decisions are for you, but never cease to be amazed at the incredible family support you have to help you through all of this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubt that you have made the right decision. Hard as it will be being away from everyone, Craig will be a wonderful place for Brittany. I am so happy that you have chosen this route as I have been hoping that it would work out for Brittany to go to Craig. My prayers will continue to be with your family and Brittany's healing. God Bless.

    Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like this is a wonderful place for Britney! We're sure it was a very difficult decision for you all. What a blessing it is to have so much family support. You and your family are in our prayers. We hope the transport and transition for your family goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey John and Britney, I am so glad you guys will be coming to Denver. My husband has been to Craig Hospital numerous times to drop off patients and thinks very highly of their staff and facilities. If you guys need anything at all we are close and willing to help. If you need help watching the kids or whatever just let me know. We currently live in Highlands Ranch so give me a call. We are thinking of you always and are praying for Britney and family. Love ya lots,

    Crystal (Fitches) Orton and Family
    720-351-0889

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, what an incredibly selfless husband and father you are!
    Wow! Besides being thrilled that Britney will be getting the best care she can possibly get here at Craig, I'm so touched by your heart to choose the best thing overall for both Britney and the kids. While it will be very difficult for you to be away from them all, I know that God will bless your family throughout this ordeal. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to encourage you today with a verse from the Bible:
    "We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!
    But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love." 1Cor.13:12-13 (The Message)
    Thank you for showing your family and all of us what love truly looks like.
    Please know that I'm available to help Casey & Jana with the kids or Britney in any way that I can.
    See you all very soon!
    Much Love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. John,
    We are grateful you and the family have been blessed to take this next step, though we will miss having your family in our ward! (I hope the friends you mention you will stay with live in our boundaries; if not, please come visit.) We continue to be humbled and amazed by your strength, love, and faith in the Lord, which allows Him to bless you fully according to His will.
    The event I mentioned to Britney's mom on Sunday will actually take place this Thursday morning. (I had misunderstood.) We all continue to pray for you, Britney, the children, and your wonderful family who are so supportive.
    With love,
    Mary Lee and Bruce
    P.S. I have been very touched by the comments on your blog. What wonderful friends the Lord has given you, and many are being blessed and their faith strengthened through their connection with you in this terribly difficult experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a difficlt decision. I'm so glad we are able to counsel with the Lord. And I'm sure he has guided you in this as with all else in your life. I know she has so many people who love her and will take care of her family in Denver. I love you Britney. Keep fighting to come back to us. I know you are there and this must be so difficult for you. We want you back and are waiting for you with loving arms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. John, I have been away for the Winkler Family Reunion in Salt Lake with your parents and Stephanie. I am proud to have you as a Winkler, as well as Britney and your children. We missed you there, but you were in our thoughts. I am happy that Britney and the children will be in Denver where your families are, although it makes it more difficult for you. I will be with you both in spirit. Our prayers will continue to be with you each day as she gets better.

    Love, Doris Winkler Scholte

    ReplyDelete
  11. John,I know how very difficult this decision has been for you,and I continue to find you a true inspiration for your your ability to handle such adversity and keep everything in perspective with your family and work.I thank God everyday that Britney has you for a husband and father to your beautiful children.Thank you for loving them all and taking such good care of them.I can hardly wait to have Britney in Denver so I can help in her recovery,and I will be so happy to help with the kids as well.Have a safe flight and I will see you very soon.My love and prayers always, Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete